Face-To-Face Adoption Training
PACT offers a range of face-to-face training for approved or prospective PACT adoptive families.
All training is free to attend for PACT adopters and there is no limit on the number of courses that can be attended.
Training takes place in London, Reading and Brighton. The latest training dates and course outlines are listed below. If you would like to receive further information or attend any of these free courses run by PACT please email firstname.lastname@example.org or call 0300 456 4800.
PACT also runs ImPACT days for adopted children.
Family and Friends training
This half-day course is designed for the relatives and close friends of PACT's adoptive families. The course provides:
- An overview of the backgrounds of children placed for adoption
- Attachment theory and how children placed for adoption can form healthy attachments
- An opportunity to explore ways of supporting adoptive parents and adopted children
Courses are being held on the following dates:
- Saturday 7th December 2019, 9.30am - 1.15pm, London
- Saturday 4th January 2020, 9.30am - 1.15pm, Reading
- Saturday 1st February 2020, 9.30am - 1.15pm, London
- Saturday 14th March 2020, 9.30am - 1.15pm, Reading
- Saturday 4th April 2020, 9.30am - 1.15pm, London
- Saturday 23rd May 2020, 9.30am - 1.15pm, London
- Friday 12th June 2020, 10.30am - 3.30pm, Reading
- Saturday 11th July 2020, 9.30am - 1.15pm, Brighton
- Saturday 8th August 2020, 9.30am - 1.15pm, London
- Friday 4th September 2020, 10.30am - 3.30pm, Reading
Family and friends of adopters only need to attend one session. If you would like to attend this course please contact email@example.com or call 0118 4021767
Talking to Children About Adoption (Continuing the Life Story Journey)
This training session will focus on assisting you to help your child understand their life story through play as well as a variety of other techniques. It will explore children’s cognitive understanding of adoption as well as when and how to talk to children. We will also look at a variety of phrases that you can use with your child to help them gain a healthy understanding of their journey into your family as well as developing a positive sense of their identity.
This course will be run by members of PACT’s Strengthening Families Team and PACT's Training Officer Simon Furlong.
Dates for next year coming soon.
Attachment-Focused Parenting Course
The course focusing on developing adoptive parents' understanding of PACE (playfulness, acceptance, curiosity and empathy) was developed by Kim Golding and Dan Hughes.
The group programme aims to:
- Provide support to carers and parents who can feel very isolated caring for children with attachment difficulties
- Increase understanding of the children and their behavioural and emotional needs through an increased understanding of attachment theory and its application to the parenting of children
- Increase the skill and confidence of the carers and parents to support children with attachment difficulties
Our course leaders are fully qualified and registered therapists/therapeutically trained contractors within our agency’s Family and Children Therapeutic Support (FACTS)service. They have all had extensive experience of working with adoptive children and with children with a range of attachment difficulties and challenging behaviours.
The course is aimed to help all adopters at whatever stage of the adoption journey they are at.
It is being held in London, due to start mid-May 2019. To find out more, or to book a place on this course, please email FACTS@pactcharity.org