Adopter Support Evenings
PACT is arranging exciting new Adopter Support Evenings with each session focusing on a particular subject.
Experienced PACT social workers will be present to offer support, guidance and some training input relevant to the evening's topic.
These are designed to be informal sessions where adopters can feel comfortable asking questions and sharing their concerns. Each evening will include light refreshments.
The topics to be discussed are:
1. Talking to children about adoption (continuing the life story journey)
We will discuss how you can help your child understand their life story through play as well as a variety of other techniques. We will explore children’s cognitive understanding of adoption as well as when and how to talk to children. We will also look at a variety of phrases that you can use with your child to help them gain a healthy understanding of their journey into your family as well as developing a positive sense of their identity.
2. Supporting adopted children in education
We will explore different ways of supporting adopted children in school by considering questions such as:
- How to create a bridge between home and school and looking for ways of building a safe foundation within school for your child.
- Transitions within education starting with the beginning of the school day, breaks, changes in the curriculum at different stages of the school year (i.e. Christmas), moving into a new class at the start of the school year and moving to a new school (i.e. Secondary).
- Curriculum ‘hotspots’ such as family trees that could raise issues around your child’s life story.
- How to support children with school residentials and days out.
- Ways of accessing support for your child.
- Supporting children’s Sensory needs
- Ways of maintaining your presence and attachments with your child even when they are apart from you at school
3. Responding to children’s behaviours (including aggressive and violent behaviour, stealing, lying and the teenage years)
Children who have encountered early neglect, abuse, trauma and have attachment difficulties are inevitably going to express their fears and anxieties through their behaviour. We will explore different ways of responding to challenging behaviours often displayed by adopted children which can include violence, aggression, stealing, lying and not co-operating, as well as the teenage years.
Upcoming Adopter Support Evenings and their topics:
Tuesday 31st March 2020, 7pm to 9pm in London | Responding to children’s behaviours
Thursday 30 April 2020, 7pm to 9pm in Reading | Supporting adopted children in education
Tuesday 12 May 2020, 7pm to 9pm in London | Talking to children about adoption
Tuesday 9th June 2020,7pm to 9pm in Reading | Responding to children’s behaviours
Tuesday 22 September 2020, 7pm to 9pm in London | Supporting adopted children in education
Tuesday 6 October 2020, 7pm to 9pm in Reading | Talking to children about adoption
Book your place
To book onto one of these sessions, please contact email@example.com or call 0118 4021767